A devastating explosion in southern Iran has ignited international concern after authorities reported that a girls’ elementary school was struck during ongoing military operations in the region, killing approximately 170 people — most of them young students between the ages of 7 and 12.
The incident occurred on February 28, 2026, in the city of Minab, located in Iran’s Hormozgan province near the strategically critical Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important oil shipping routes.
Iranian officials say the blast destroyed the Shajareh Tayyebeh girls’ elementary school, turning what should have been a routine school day into one of the deadliest civilian tragedies reported so far during the current regional conflict.
While Iranian leaders immediately blamed U.S.–Israeli military operations, early intelligence assessments suggest the situation may be more complex — and potentially the result of a misidentified military target.
Evidence Points to a Possible Missile Error
Preliminary findings reviewed by U.S. officials suggest the strike may have been carried out by American forces, though investigators stress that the school was not intentionally targeted.
According to a person familiar with the intelligence assessment, outdated information may have led military planners to believe the location was still part of an Iranian military facility.
Satellite imagery analyzed by independent experts appears to support the possibility that the school sat very close to installations used by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
Investigators say the area included multiple military-related buildings, including the IRGC Seyyed Al-Shohada Barracks and a medical clinic affiliated with the IRGC navy.
Because of this proximity, analysts believe the missile may have been aimed at nearby military infrastructure but struck the school compound instead.
Video Analysis Suggests Use of a Tomahawk Missile
Further evidence surfaced after video footage circulated online showing a cruise missile striking near the school complex.
Weapons analysts who examined the footage identified the projectile as a Tomahawk cruise missile, a weapon widely used by the United States in long-range precision strikes.
Defense expert Dr. N.R. Jenzen-Jones, director of Armament Research Services, said the weapon’s characteristics strongly indicate a Tomahawk.

Military analyst Wes J. Bryant, a former Pentagon adviser on civilian protection in warfare, also concluded that the missile seen in the video matches the profile of a Tomahawk.
Experts note that among the countries involved in the conflict, the United States is the only one known to possess and deploy this type of missile, strengthening suspicions that American forces may have carried out the strike.
However, analysts emphasize that no final conclusions have been reached.
Satellite Images Reveal Widespread Damage
Satellite imagery taken before and after the incident shows multiple buildings damaged or destroyed in the strike zone.
One image reveals what appears to be a large hole in the roof of the school building, while nearby structures — believed to be associated with military facilities — were also severely damaged.
Experts say the imagery suggests the missile strike may have targeted several buildings simultaneously, indicating a possible attempt to neutralize a military compound.
But if the intelligence used to plan the strike was outdated or inaccurate, the attack could have tragically hit a location that had since become a civilian space.
Iran Accuses U.S. and Israel of War Crimes
Iranian leaders have strongly condemned the attack, describing it as a deliberate strike on civilians.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said the alleged attack represents a violation of humanitarian law.
“Attacks on schools target a nation’s future,” he wrote in a public statement, adding that Iran would not remain silent about the tragedy.

State media broadcast emotional scenes from the city of Minab showing large crowds gathered for mass funerals, with mourners grieving over coffins draped in the Iranian flag.
Footage also showed rows of freshly dug graves, with local officials preparing burial sites for dozens of victims.
Iran’s health ministry says many of those killed were young students attending morning classes when the explosion occurred.
Pentagon Launches Investigation
U.S. officials have acknowledged that the incident is under investigation but have not confirmed responsibility.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the Pentagon is reviewing the circumstances surrounding the strike.
“We never intentionally target civilian infrastructure,” Hegseth said during a briefing, adding that the investigation remains ongoing.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio also emphasized that U.S. military operations focus exclusively on missile production and launch facilities, not schools or civilian buildings.
The White House has urged caution while investigators review intelligence data and operational records.
Officials say it is too early to determine whether the strike resulted from faulty intelligence, targeting errors, or misinformation surrounding the event.
Israel Denies Any Involvement
Israeli officials have also rejected suggestions that their forces participated in the attack.
Two sources familiar with military operations in the region confirmed that Israeli aircraft were not operating near Minab at the time of the explosion.

Israeli military spokesman Nadav Shoshani told reporters that the Israel Defense Forces had found no connection between the incident and Israeli operations.
He also warned against relying solely on information released by Iranian state authorities, urging independent verification.
Calls for an Independent Investigation
The United Nations has called for an immediate, impartial investigation into the incident.
U.N. human rights chief Volker Türk said determining responsibility is critical, especially given the high number of reported child casualties.
Human rights organizations are also attempting to confirm the identities of victims and verify the circumstances of the attack.
One rights group noted that the presence of military facilities close to civilian locations, such as schools, significantly increases the risk of deadly mistakes during armed conflict.
A Tragedy Still Shrouded in Uncertainty
Despite mounting evidence and growing international scrutiny, key questions remain unanswered.
Did a missile intended for a military target strike the school by mistake?

Was faulty intelligence to blame?
Or are the events still being misinterpreted amid the fog of war?
Until investigators complete their work, the tragedy in Minab remains both a humanitarian catastrophe and a geopolitical mystery — one that could reshape the narrative of the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
