A stunning security lapse has shaken the White House and sparked a firestorm across Washington after The Atlantic’s editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, was mistakenly added to a top-secret Signal chat discussing classified military plans — prompting sharp denials, political outrage, and an explosive war of words with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.
According to Goldberg, the error placed him in a Signal group chat titled “Houthi PC small group,” which included 18 high-ranking U.S. officials, among them Vice President JD Vance, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director Tulsi Gabbard, and National Security Adviser Mike Waltz. The group was actively coordinating a military strike on Yemen, slated for March 15.
An “Unforgivable Mistake”
The breach has been widely condemned by lawmakers and military analysts as a “stunning and dangerous” lapse in operational security. Sensitive details including potential targets, strike sequencing, and weapon deployment were discussed in real-time, according to Goldberg — all within a chat he was never meant to see.
“It’s unbelievable,” Senator Jack Reed (D-RI), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement. “This kind of recklessness could have cost lives. It’s unforgivable.”
Republican Senator Roger Wicker echoed similar concerns: “It appears mistakes were made, and we’ll be conducting a full investigation.”
The mistake reportedly occurred when Goldberg accepted a Signal message from Mike Waltz, unaware it would link him to a classified conversation involving imminent U.S. military action. Goldberg, a seasoned journalist known for decades of national security reporting, quickly recognized the significance — and danger — of what he had been given access to.

Pete Hegseth Fires Back
In response to the revelation, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth launched a blistering personal attack on Goldberg’s credibility rather than addressing the implications of the breach.
“This is a guy who peddles in garbage. This is what he does,” Hegseth said to reporters while stepping off a flight in Hawaii, where he was scheduled to meet with Indo-Pacific Command leaders.
Calling Goldberg a “highly discredited so-called journalist,” Hegseth dismissed the idea that war plans had ever been shared. “Nobody was texting war plans,” he claimed.
But Goldberg countered the accusation in an interview with CNN’s Kaitlan Collins later that night, saying, “That’s a lie. He was texting attack plans. When targets were going to be targeted; how they were going to be targeted; who was at the targets; when the next sequence of attacks was happening.”
“They’re Lucky They Didn’t Send It to a Houthi”
Goldberg, visibly shaken during his interview, emphasized how serious the mistake was. “This wasn’t just a random message. This was a real-time feed of military plans. People were sharing timelines and locations. American service members were involved directly in this operation. This isn’t something you can laugh off.”
He added, “They’re lucky they didn’t send this to a Houthi operative or a foreign diplomat. I guess they could call that dumb luck.”
While the Pentagon referred all inquiries to Hegseth’s office, President Donald Trump, when asked about the situation, claimed ignorance. “I don’t know anything about it,” he said. “But The Atlantic is a magazine that’s going out of business anyway.”
A Crisis of Confidence
The breach has raised serious questions about communication protocols inside the Trump administration and the handling of classified information at the highest levels. It also raises larger concerns about the administration’s apparent reliance on unsecured messaging apps for sensitive military coordination.
“This should never have happened,” said former NSA official Susan Hennessey. “And the fact that it happened — and that the response is to attack the journalist rather than fix the breach — is beyond troubling.”
Though no intelligence is believed to have reached hostile actors, cybersecurity experts warn the situation could have been catastrophic.
“Imagine if the recipient wasn’t Jeffrey Goldberg, but a foreign asset,” said Eric Rosenbach, former chief of staff to the Secretary of Defense. “We’re dangerously close to a worst-case scenario.”
The Fallout
As the story continues to dominate headlines, Congress is preparing for a full review, and internal investigations are reportedly underway. Yet no one has publicly accepted responsibility for the error, and no disciplinary action has been announced.
For now, the administration remains in damage control mode — with officials trying to downplay the mistake, even as the nation grapples with the implications of such an egregious breach of trust.
The big question remains: if the government can accidentally add a journalist to a war room chat, who else might they have invited next?
