Tragedy Strikes Utah Farm as 13-Year-Old Boy Succumbs to Tetherball Rope Mishap

VENICE, UTAH – A small Utah community is in mourning after the untimely death of 13-year-old Maximus Knight, who was discovered lifeless with a tetherball rope wound tightly around his neck in what authorities are characterizing as a “freak accident” on the family’s farm.

Maximus, the youngest member of the Knight family, had been helping with the cleanup of the Knights Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch, a popular seasonal attraction located approximately 160 miles south of Salt Lake City. The horrifying incident unfolded on a fateful Saturday, leaving a tight-knit community grappling with grief and disbelief.

According to reports from Fox 13, Maximus went missing during the course of his farm chores, prompting an immediate search by his worried family. They soon discovered him with the tetherball pole’s rope ensnared around his neck. He was unresponsive, not breathing, and devoid of a pulse, prompting them to alert the authorities.

Maximus Knight, 13, was found dead with a tetherball rope wrapped around his neck.

The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to the scene, where dispatchers provided life-saving instructions for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) until paramedics arrived, successfully restoring a pulse. Maximus was swiftly transported to a local hospital, but his condition remained critical. He was subsequently airlifted to a medical facility in Salt Lake City, as reported by The Salt Lake Tribune. Sadly, despite the best efforts of medical professionals, he was later pronounced dead.

The exact cause of Maximus Knight’s tragic passing is set to be examined by the state medical examiner’s office. However, Sevier County Sheriff Nathan Curtis, as reported by Fox 13, has stated that there are no indications of foul play or any suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident. The tragedy is being described as a “freak accident” by local authorities.

A tetherball similar to the one that apparently caused the death of the 13-year-old.

The heart-wrenching loss of Maximus has left a profound impact on the family and community. His aunt, Laurie Ann Thor, created a GoFundMe page to share her sentiments and garner support for the grieving family. She described Maximus as a “beautiful, sweet, and loving child who brought so much joy to his family and community.”

Maximus was the youngest among his siblings, known for his unwavering dedication to impressing his older brothers and caring for those around him. In her heartfelt message, Thor expressed the profound sorrow that now engulfs the family: “Our hearts are broken as we struggle to make sense of this tragedy. We will forever mourn his passing.”

Thor’s GoFundMe initiative received an outpouring of support, with donations and kind words from friends, family, and sympathetic individuals reaching an impressive sum exceeding $25,000. In response to the incredible show of solidarity, Thor expressed her gratitude and announced the closure of further donations for the time being, with the intention of assessing the family’s needs.

The Knight family (above) found Maximus (front right) and provided first aid before paramedics arrived.

Maximus Knight’s loss has left an indelible mark on his community. Friends and peers remember him as a compassionate and protective individual who was quick to stand up for those he cared about. One friend, identified as Treyton, described Maximus as someone who “would always stick up for others if anyone was talking bad about us. He would always stand up for us… he wasn’t scared to put people in their place.”

The tragic accident has not only affected Maximus Knight’s family but has reverberated throughout the close-knit community, serving as a stark reminder of the fragile nature of life and the necessity of cherishing every moment with loved ones. As the investigation unfolds, the memory of this compassionate and caring young boy will forever be etched in the hearts of those who knew him.

Leave a Reply